Claims made against the police, courts and prison services by their very nature tend to arise from criminal investigations. However, these claims are brought in the civil courts, and so a knowledge of both criminal and civil procedure is essential in order to advise clients effectively of their rights and remedies.
Our team of lawyers, headed by Charles Worthington, has expertise in bringing civil claims for compensation against the police, court and prison services.
We have recently dealt with cases involving arrests on a previously cancelled arrest warrant, incorrect calculation of release dates from prison and unlawful detention beyond the correct release date from prison (achieving a compensation payment of £11,000 in one recent case), as well as claims for ex-gratia payments following wrongful conviction. These cases can usually be conducted on a “no win-no fee” basis.
Contact us about:
- False imprisonment arising from wrongful arrest
- Wrongful execution of arrest warrants
- Detention in custody beyond release date
- Malicious prosecution
- Assaults whilst in detention
- Deaths in custody/inquests
- Wrongful convictions
- Complaints against police, including matters referred to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).
For more information please contact us on 020 8563 9797.